Monday, February 2, 2009

Keepin’ Current: Finding Calm in the Crisis

Finding Calm in the Crisis...

As the economic recession infiltrates news headlines, many reports are just the same old facts and guesses repeated in a tired loop. But recently, two interesting national stories caught my eye and led me to wonder, not only how the recession affects our wellness, but if our priorities have been out of whack for far longer than the stock market.

An article in today's L.A. Times examines how the job decline affects even those who are not unemployed. Predictably, the negative impact was widespread:

“Employees who remain employed are prone to greater role ambiguity and job demands that can, in turn, contribute to greater alcohol consumption and depression, according to a 2003 study on the physical and mental-health effects of surviving layoffs, published by the Institute of Behavioral Science. The study found layoff survivors often experience worsening physical health: They eat differently, smoke more, suffer from neck and back pain, increase their use of sick days, and workplace injuries also rise...” The article goes on to say those consequences are long-term, with a six-year psychological fallout of surviving a layoff.

While this is not too shocking, it becomes more intriguing when contrasted with a recent New York Times article, which reports that losing your job can benefit health and wellness:

“Recessions and depressions, of course, are not good for mental health. But it is less widely known that in the United States, physical health seems to improve, on average, during a downturn. Sure, it’s stressful to miss a paycheck, but eliminating the stresses of a job may have some beneficial effects ... [They] spend less on alcohol and tobacco. They also have more time for exercise and sleep, and tend to choose home cooking over fast food ... an economist at the University of North Carolina, found that the death rate falls as unemployment rises.”

This leaves a gal to wonder ... how out-of-whack are our work habits, if it takes loosing a job to make many of us slowdown and take the time for much needed self-care?

But economic woes are stressful not matter what side of the fence you are on. In fact, many of us had a hard time relaxing before the crisis! Let’s face it, life can be stressful, if we let it get that way and neglect self-care. So, the question I am posing to you is, what do you do to keep centered? How do you remember to make time for yourself, and what do you do during that time to nurture your mind and body, no matter what your job status?

Here are a few things I try that help me get a little, tiny bit closer to that sought after life of ease and acceptance:

-I try to meditate in the mornings – though I'm pretty bad at sitting still! One pose I find easier to be still with is a hamstring stretch against the wall. I focus on the blood and energy moving against gravity. It has a warming and rejuvenating affect!
Or, to combat my jitters, I do a walking meditation.

-I attend STL classes twice a week, and finish it off with a big ol’ salad from Whole Foods. It's a ritual that works wonders!

-Morning workouts a priority, even when there isn’t time, because I know that when I do them, all day long, I will have more energy, more focus, and more balance. So whatever time I spend taking care of myself in the morning, gets paid back throughout the day, plus some usually!


What about you?

2 comments:

bsmkristof said...

When I feel stressed, I will try to put myself in that photo, standing there among the quiet, stately trees, finding peace in the solitude.

I love what this program and all these suggested activities do for me: they calm me down but also give me strength and energy. It's great.

caroline said...

Being an artist, yoga and meditation have become part of my process. I meditate every day when I get to my studio, before I pick up a paintbrush. This makes me open to new ideas and more able to see and think clearly. After a while, meditating becomes an inviting retreat. It took me a while to come around to this ritual, but I would recommend it to anyone, regardless of their work.